A large, detailed view of the marble statue of Queen Anne, erected in 1712 at the West entrance of St. Paul’s to commemorate the completion of the Cathedral. The statue is of Queen Anne in her Coronation Robes, holding the Sceptre and Orb, with the base of the plinth surrounded by female personifications of England, France, Ireland and North America. Unfortunately, the original statue by Frances Bird deteriorated badly and was replaced by a bad copy by Richard Belt in 1886. Bird’s original sculpture was rescued from a stonemason’s yard on Vauxhall Bridge Road by Augustus Hare the writer of guides to London and Rome, and re-erected at his home at Holmhurst, St. Leonard’s-on-Sea.
The Statue of Her Majesty &c. Erected at the West End of St. Paul’s Ann. 1713.
Thomas Bowles The Statue of Her Majesty &c. Erected at the West End of St. Paul’s Ann. 1713. London, T. Bowles c. 1720 Copper engraving 645x510mm Trimmed within platemark, laid onto old album paper, traces of old fold
SKU: 2618 Category: Topography