A large interesting view of the Renaissance Fontaine des Innocents in the Les Halles district of Paris. The Fountain was built in 1549 by the sculptor Jean Goujeon to the designs of the architect Lescot. Adorned with Corinthian pilasters and sculptures of marine deities and nymphs, it has a pedestal bowl shaped fountain at its heart. Originally located close to the graveyard of the Saints Innocents, in 1786 the graveyard was relocated and the bodies transferred to the Catacombs. The fountain was subsequently moved in 1788 to its current location, south of Les Halles. A fourth side was sculpted by Pajou in line with the original three sides, an event this aquatint was evidently published to mark.
Vue Perspective de la Fontaine des Innocents.
Antoine Carrée Vue Perspective de la Fontaine des Innocents. Paris, Depeuille 1790 Aquatint with etching Original hand-colouring 395x520mm Trimmed to border, slight spotting in sky
SKU: 2487 Category: Topography