The skinny, snub nosed figure of Dr. James Wood walks purposefully in profile to the right. He clutches the front of his academic gown tightly around him and wears a mortar board with a long tassel. Wood (1760-1839), Fellow of St. John’s and distinguished mathematician, was the exceptionally bright son of a Lancashire weaver. He filled many offices in the university, including that of Vice-Chancellor (1816). He became Master of St. John’s College in 1815, holding the post till his death. He was appointed Dean of Ely in November 1820, and instituted rector of Freshwater, Isle of Wight, in August 1823, but continued to pass most of his time in College, where he resided for about sixty years. He was for many years the most influential man in the university and was a considerable benefactor to St. John’s, both during his life and by his will, which provided that the college should be residuary legatee. About £50,000 thus came into its coffers. His library was also left to the college. Wood died in college on 23 April 1839, and was interred in the college chapel.
A View from St. John’s College Cambridge.
Robert Dighton A View from St. John’s College Cambridge. London, R. Dighton May 1809 Etching Original hand-colouring 275x205mm
SKU: 4341 Category: Caricatures